Usually when something looks amazing it really sucks. Not the Koven. This jacket is both pretty and super functional. The Koven is a hardshell offering
from the reincarnated outdoor brand, Cloudveil. The Koven incorporates features that are usually only found jackets that are in the $450 and up price range. The fleece lined collar eliminated the chin chaffing that usually accompanies hardshells and made skiing and winter activities that much more fun. And guess what it doesn’t sound like a potato chip bag due to Cloudveil’s proprietary 4 way stretch material, Cloudburst stretch. I found that Cloudburst stretch was not as breathable as some of the Gore or eVent products, but it was definitely more comfortable. The breathability difference was not too much of a problem except when the summit temperature was -4 degrees and when I got down the back of my jacket had a crust of ice on it. I was disappointed and brought the jacket inside to thaw. I was skiing at Pico Mountain in Vermont when I did most of the review for this product. I actually had one lift attendant comment on my jacket and say how much he loved it. The best
feature of this jacket is the hood design. The hood is attached below the collar allowing you to wear the jacket comfortably without a hood bunched around your neck. The hood is also helmet compatible but my GIro G9 helmet did have some trouble when it was really windy outside, but after some fumbling with the cords it fit better and I did not have to adjust every couple of minutes. The pit zips are also a plus especially when you are sweating. Using the pit zips would have completely averted the frozen back crisis that I had. After I started to use them my jacket never froze except when it was really cold and I just opened the zips.
• The zipper pulls are top notch. They allow you to open the pockets with gloves on.
• The hood design is so sweet.
• Pit zips
• The cuff design is also great. They are roomy enough to allow a gauntlet style glove underneath then cinch up on the glove.
• The fit can be equated to a “Slim Cut” which is exactly what I am. It fit me so well it looked custom tailored.
• Fleece collar lining eliminated the chin chaffing problem with other jackets.
• The subtleties of the design make this jacket look like you paid $600 bucks for it. The Velcro with the Cloudveil Logo and the cuff strap just to name a few.
• The jacket froze but that was because I wasn’t using the pit zips all the time. If it is super cold and you are sweating watch out.
• It doesn’t breath as well as Gore-Tex or eVent
• The pit zip zippers don’t have the zipper pull making it hard to use with
Final Verdict- This jacket really is awesome but the breathability needs to be fixed. If you want a great bang for your buck jacket the koven is for you.